Sports Medicine and Orthopaedics of Rhode Island, requires all physicians, staff, and business associates to protect confidential information. Confidential information that identifies you and your medical treatment, is called Protected Health Information (PHI). We will use your PHI to provide you with the highest quality medical care possible. We will protect the confidentiality of you PHI to the highest degree possible.
- In response to Federal Privacy Regulations, we have created this brief summary of our Privacy Policies so you may understand your rights and protections.
- If you would like a complete copy of our policies, please request this, and we will provide you with a copy.
- We will collect and use Protected Health Information (PHI) as allowed by state and federal laws
- We will share PHI within our practice and outside of our practice when necessary for your treatment or payment for your treatment.
- We will share PHI within our practice and outside of our practice as necessary for your treatment.
- We will not release your PHI for any reason other than those listed above unless the patient or their authorized representative signs a written authorization or as otherwise permitted by law.
- We may use your PHI to remind you of appointments at the address and telephone numbers you have provided us.
- Although our practice legally "owns" your medical record, you have a right to request a copy. We will charge a fee for record copying, which will depend on the size of the medical record. You have the right to request an amendment to your medical record if you believe information is inadequate or incomplete.
- When any information is released from your medical record, we will keep a record of each authorization. Routine release of information for your treatment, for payment of your treatment, or for operation of our practice will not always be recorded.
- All physicians and staff of our practice must adhere to this policy. Violations of Personal Health Information Security will not be tolerated, and are grounds for disciplinary action.
Compliments of Sports Medicine and Orthopaedics, East Providence, Rhode Island